Getting to where you want to go….by setting goals.

As the owner of Mobil Stage Rental, I try to keep my employees motivated and inspired, as well as any other fellow entrepreneurs reading this blog. I try to stay up to date on personal development, and I hope you find these musings interesting and helpful. The first article I wanted to write on was about goals.

If you don’t know where you want to go, you certainly cannot devise a plan to move forward. Not setting goals is like setting out on a trip, with no real idea of your destination. If you are attempting to get fit, lose weight, grow a business, make more money, enhance your health, or whatever you plan on doing, goal setting will put you on the fast track of accomplishment.

First Step to Accomplishing your Goals

Set aside some time in a quiet place with a clear and undistracted mind. Think about where you would like to see yourself at the end of a specific time period, for example 12 weeks or 6 months. Hopefully you will easily conjure up positive emotions. I like to do this in my office first thing in the morning to plan where our company is headed and where I am headed personally. When you imagine feeling good and the possibility of your good things actually happening, you’ll feel the energy and get excited about your future. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been down the night before, but then felt an incredible rush of positive energy by just sitting down, taking some quiet time, and thinking.

Now, you have to channel these positive feelings and attempt to turn them into powerful, specific statements.
Remember, dreams are things we wish for – things you enjoy thinking about but don’t know when or if they will happen. Goals, on the other hand, are specific things you have decided you need to accomplish within a clearly defined period of time.

How to Transform your dreams into goals.

For example: I’d like to lose weight is a dream.

Within 12 weeks, I will lose 15 lbs is a goal.

Make sure set SMART goals:
S – Specific (or Significant)
M – Measurable (or Meaningful)
A – Attainable (or Action-Oriented)
R- Relevant (or Rewarding)
T – Time-bound (or Trackable)
Write your goals down. It gives them more force. Back in 1953, a Harvard University study showed that 3% of the students graduating that year actually wrote down their specific career goals. Twenty years later, a team of researchers interviewed the class of 1953 and found that the 3% who had written down their goas were worth more financially than the other 97% combined.

Last Step to achieving your goals: daily visualization

Once you create your goals, make sure you put them somewhere that you will see them every day. Read them over and revisit them frequently. Imagine how proud you will be feel when you achieve the goal that you have created. You will feel the surge of energy and pride that comes from being true to yourself and your commitment to accomplishing your goal.

P.S. Did you check out our new article on where we’re going to be later on this year? Hope to see you there!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *